Saturday, October 20, 2007

My visit with Nicolae

I saw Nicolae yesterday,Saturday, for 3 hrs. It was so wonderful. I learned that he is behaving very well at school. He has a new teacher this year. He is also doing much better at home too. It was one of the very first things he said to me. "Mama Debbie, eu fi cuminte" Mama Debbie I am being well behaved". I am so proud of him.
At first they(Marius, Carmen and Nicolae) met me outside and we walked to a nearby park. It was a bit chilly. So, we ended up going back to their apt. I was surprised that Carmen allowed this because it is a tricky situation to actually allow me to visit inside their apt. Romanian rules....etc. So I was thrilled. Carmen even let me take some pictures and video tape Nicolae putting together a puzzle. He has progressed so much.
Nicolae can now do a 4 sided cube puzzle completely on his own. It has 4 differerent Snow White Disney scences. Impressive. I just sat back in awe as he did the cube puzzle. He did 3 out of the 4 puzzles for me. I video taped him doing part of one of them. I hope to be able to share the video with you once my computer gets up and running again.

He is learning English at school now. It is so adorable to hear him speak English and to see how proud of himself he is. Of course I am very proud of him too.
He knows how to say..What is your name? My name is Nicusor. How are you doing? Goodbye and Good Morning. He isn't perfect yet, but he definetly understands what he is saying. It is the pronounciation that still is a bit tricky and he sometimes confuses Good Morning with Goodbye. He of course had to throw in Hondahondahondalin...just for laughs. He is so adorable. I love him so much.
He asked about mom and if she liked his singing of "La Multi Ani". He talked about Auntie Bev of course and also asked yet again when we were going to the states. He told me he wants to go right now. I so wish!
I had a wonderful time and I am so thankful for his foster family being willing to let me see him. Legally, as of right now, they could not let me see him at all. So Praise God for this little blessing.

Oh and the Scooby Doo coloring magnets I got him were a big hit. He colored them "creatively", but I was so happy with how well he held the coloring pens and the care and time he spent trying to do his best. Such a difference from the little boy who not so long ago couldn't even hold a crayon corrrectly. His attention span is so much better now too.
Carmen, his foster mom has been working with him on his writing...drawing lines. They have workbooks in school that they practice in. All Romanian children spend lots of time drawing lines and circles etc before actually writing letters. She has also been working with him on learning the alphabet and his numbers. All of which gets reinforced and taught at Gradanita(Kindergarten/Preschool) as well. He has grown so much in a months time...academically.

I had such an incredible time with Nicolae yesterday. I love him so much and I know that he loves me as well. As he said right when I was leaving in English..."Mama Debbie, I love YOU very much". And with prompting he added "sleep tight". It was so cute.
Happy heart.
Love,
Debbie

No comments: